Waste to Energy generators are not new but the technology is improving every year.
There is a degree of thought that argues burning municipal waste creates more pollution & Co2. Potentially more than would be released by Coal Energy plants (based on electricity output) but when using closed loop techniques such as Gasification and systems similar to Pyrolysis this is not the case.
We need to reduce as much waste as possible, recycle more and reuse even more than we recycle. But as a process for eliminating large amounts of unusable Municipal waste, plants such as Waste to Energy run as a Social Enterprise has the potential to:
- Reduce (or even eliminate) waste in Landfill
- Eliminate environmental hazards from direct landfill waste reduction
- Create Co2 Neutral / Co2 Negative Energy for the local community
- Create Employment
- Create an Enterprise for direct community benefit.
- Produce a raw material that can be used in construction and civil engineering industries
- Produce more Metals for recycling that would otherwise be lost to landfill
Plus many other positive Environmental, Social and Economical benefits.by